How to be a tattoo model? To be a tattoo model, you will need to have a strong interest in tattoos and body art. You should also be comfortable with posing for photographs and working with a variety of people. Additionally, it is important to be professional and punctual when working with clients and photographers.
Keep reading our post for more useful information.
What Does a Tattoo Model Do?
A tattoo model is a fashion model who has tattoos or body piercings.
Because they are not typically connected to a certain industry or the standard when it comes to what a model looks like, they can also be considered alternative models.
Tattoo models are frequently employed by manufacturers and designers to show how certain apparel appears on persons with tattoos or to sell a particular clothing trend.
There is a greater need for tattoo models than ever before due to the rise in the popularity of piercings and tattoos in recent years.
If you enjoy getting tattoos, modeling for body art is a terrific way to earn money from your ink.
What You Need To Do To Be A Tattoo Model
Real tattoos, an interest in the fashion industry, and good communication abilities are requirements for becoming a tattoo model.
The good news is that the process to become a male tattoo model is the same for both sexes, and both are in high demand.
It is crucial to know what kind of clientele you will be working with, so it is not simply about how highly inked you are.
An effective Tattoo model satisfies the following requirements:
- To start working in the field, you must be at least 18 years old.
- The tattoos on tattoo models should be genuine and not fading or fuzzy.
- Superior communication abilities
- Pose well for the camera.
- Being open to working many jobs
- A desire for fashion
How To Be A Tattoo Model
Creating Your Persona
- Ink yourself with visible tattoos for pictures. To be a tattoo model, you must have at least one noticeable tattoo. You’ll probably be more successful if you have numerous tattoos, but don’t alter your appearance solely to break into modeling. Being true to yourself is the most important thing, therefore only get the tattoos you want.
- Start with the most noticeable tattoos first, like arm tattoos. There are also several tattoos on the legs, chest, neck, and upper back.
- Pick patterns that you like or that have special meaning for you. You can get words from a poem you wrote, your favorite flower, or religious symbols.
- Decide what type of modeling you want to pursue. You have many options when it comes to modeling, especially if you’re a tattoo model. Focus on the type of modeling that you enjoy doing the most. For instance, a tattoo model might engage in the modeling activities listed below:
- Fine art modeling
- For the fashion industry, modeling
- Commercial modeling can be seen in print ads and TV commercials.
- Real-time modeling, like at trade shows or on the runway
- Posing for stock images.
- Live modeling or posing for photography are effective ways to get experience. Look at pictures of models you want to resemble and try to adapt their posture or attitude. Watch videos that show how to perform various positions as well.
It’s a good idea to do these poses in front of a mirror or to take a video of yourself doing them. Posing exercises should be continued until you feel comfortable in front of a camera or on a runway.
- Take selfies of yourself to help you when you’re practicing your facial expressions. Similar to that, ask a friend to take your photo as part of a mock photo shoot so you may practice full-body poses.
- Put together a wardrobe of outfits that emphasize your best characteristics. When you first begin, you’ll need to construct your own appearance. This will help you catch the interest of prospective employers. You can use these looks to help you expand your portfolio as well. Choose attire that enhances your appearance and sense of well-being.
- Make a decision regarding the clothing you want to model in the future.
- After you start working for a company, you can be expected to wear a certain outfit. However, it’s useful to have a few go-to clothes when you have to bring your own clothing.
- Decide what you would like to accomplish during a modeling shoot. On set, it’s simple to get caught up in the excitement of the moment and feel pressured to go too far beyond your comfort zone. It’s a good idea to establish some ground rules in advance. then bring them up when you show up for a photo session and when you apply for modeling gigs.
- Think about whether you’re prepared to pose in your underwear or completely naked before you begin working with photographers, for instance. Consider as well whether you feel at ease posing close to other models.
- You are free to select a name to serve as your modeling name. Models with tattoos are more likely than average models to go by a different name when modeling. But it’s not necessary. Think about whether you want to have a distinctive modeling persona, and then think of a name for it.
- Search the Internet to make sure the name you choose isn’t already taken.
- You may give your character a name like “Jax Up” or “Roxy Fire,” for instance.
Creating a Portfolio
- To save money, ask friends or family to take your picture. Don’t feel compelled to invest a large sum of money in your portfolio when you first begin. Ask your friends and family for pictures of you, then pick the best ones to represent your job. Do many photo shoots in varied outfits so you have a wide selection of images to choose from.
- Make arrangements for several people to take your picture so that you can have a diversity of perspectives. Additionally, this will help you guarantee that at least a few of the photos are of a high caliber.
- Volunteer as a model to help photographers build their portfolios. A portfolio of their work and models are an important necessity for photographers. Make connections with both those local photographers whose work you admire and those who are just starting out in the field.
Send them a few of your pics and let them know you’re willing to act as a model in exchange for unpaid publicity shots.
- Check your local classifieds or the modeling-specific social media platforms for job opportunities. But when you meet new people, be careful. You might want to have a companion with you for security.
- Employ a photographer to capture the best images from a modeling session. The best results will almost definitely be produced by a professional photographer. They will be able to direct you, adjust the lighting so you appear your best, and edit the pictures once you’re finished.
Additionally, they could help you get a feel for what it’s like to work as a professional model on a set. Find a photographer online, or ask other models for recommendations.
- Let the photographer know that you intend to use the pictures to promote your modeling services.
- The photographer will probably post your photos on their website and social media pages, which is a great way for strangers to see your picture.
- It’s best to hire a professional hair and makeup artist as well unless you’ve received training in these skills. Don’t waste your money on poor hair and cosmetics if you’re planning to pay for a professional photo shoot.
- Put together a portfolio of your best poses. Print your photos if you want to create a flipbook or other hardcopy portfolio. You have the option of ordering the prints yourself or having your photographer do it.
Publish your photos to a website that facilitates portfolio creation, then buy a book there. For a simpler selection, create a digital portfolio by submitting your photographs to a website.
- Look through the portfolios of models you like to see how they put theirs together.
- Ask your photographer what positions would be appropriate to include.
- A digital portfolio is easier and less expensive to construct than a physical one. Additionally, a wider spectrum of people can access it more easily. You might favor a hard copy portfolio if you wish to submit applications for modeling jobs in person.
- Purchase a composite (comp) card to use as a business card. A comp card is often a 6 in. (15 cm) by 9 in. (23 cm) card that features three to four of your best poses on one side and your headshot on the other. You should be able to see yourself in these pictures from various angles. Then, write your personal information in tiny print on the card’s back.
- The reverse of the card should have your name, height, weight, measurements/size, eye color, and hair color. Put this data at the bottom of the card, below your images.
- Your photographer might be able to help you put your contest card together. If not, there are numerous websites that can help you do it yourself.
- If you sign with an agency, your comp cards will be created for you.
Finding Jobs as a Model
- When posting pictures of yourself on social media, use hashtags for tattoo modeling. Make it a practice to post both candid and staged photos at least once per day. Each post should have a variety of tattoo modeling hashtags.
Think of marking well-known tattoo shops, especially the ones where you got your tattoos. This can lead to people in the field taking notice of you and sharing your content.
- Make use of hash tags, such as #tattoo, #tattoomodel, #inkedmodel, #tattoogirl, or #tattooartist.
- Look at the hashtags that your favorite tattoo models are using to figure out which ones to use.
- To make things easier, copy and paste your hashtags into each post you write to ensure you don’t forget one.
Advice: It might be advantageous to use Instagram to launch an influencer career. If you gain a huge following and brands like your style, they might pay you to promote their products.
- Establish a website to advertise your services. Your website could make it easier for recruiters to find you and for you to market yourself. When applying for jobs, send the photographer or brand a link to your website so they may view your work.
Utilize a platform like WordPress or Squarespace to build your website utilizing a template. You should post the following on your website:
- Your gender, age, height, weight, measurements, size, eye color, hair color, and any other distinguishing features, like tattoos.
- The best images in your online portfolio.
- Make an “About Me” Page to Introduce Yourself.
- Sign up for a modeling social media platform. You can speak with other models on modeling networking sites to get tips and find out about fresh opportunities. These platforms can be used by businesses and photographers to post job openings. Pick a website that has a strong tattoo model community.
- A well-known model networking website is Model Mayhem, for instance.
- Visit these websites at least once a week to stay up to date on what’s happening in the tattoo modeling industry.
- Attend events and festivals to meet photographers, models, and other creatives. Meeting new people is a great way to look for work. When visiting events or festivals, always dress to sell the look you’re selling. Then introduce yourself to people you don’t know and provide them with your compensation card.
After the event or festival, stay in touch with the people you met on social media.
- Take part in events including concerts, art openings, music festivals, and tattoo conventions.
- Look for local photography and modeling groups on social media platforms like Facebook and Meetup.
- It’s a good idea to let local photographers and tattoo artists know about your services. Send them a link to your website or social media pages, a business card, and your resume. Give them a description of the kind of work you’d want to do and explain why you’d like to work with them. This may facilitate your employment.
- Look over the photographer’s or artist’s previous work so you can express to them what you like about it.
- Submit an application for representation to a tattoo modeling agency. Look into your options to find the agency that is the best fit for you. Then, check their website to see what guidelines there are for uploading photographs.
By uploading photographs and a short application, you can get in touch with some organizations on your own. A representative will get in touch with you if the organization is interested.
- Don’t pay an agency up front to deal with you. A lot of companies will try to sell you services that you don’t need, which is unfortunate. You should only be charged when your agency secures your paid work.
- Consider checking out Tattoo Models, H2Ocean Models, and Model Management.
How Do I Apply to Become a Model?
You need to develop your portfolio and take expert images of all kinds if you want to become a tattoo model.
When you are prepared, begin your search for modeling positions.
The process is as follows:
- You must be able to capture the ideal representation of yourself in a headshot.
- Include photos showcasing your tattoos.
- Make yourself available for photo shoots at least three times every week.
- Numerous modeling firms focus on non-traditional models, such as tattooed individuals.
The best ones to attempt are listed below:
Because they really value training and providing everyone an opportunity regardless of their height, weight, age, or sex, Go Models is fantastic for diverse models.
Go Models might be for you if you’re interested in learning how to become a plus-size tattoo model.
The go-Academy was established in order to do this.
You may learn everything there is to know about modeling at The Go Academy. It includes entertaining and educational videos, blogs, and courses.
If you pass tests and courses, you can earn badges that will be shown on your profile for future clients to see.
To prove to clients that you are a go-Model with Know-How, reach the “Master Level”!
The offices of this modeling business, which represents both men and women with tattoos, are in Berlin. It is the first of its kind in the world.
On the website, you can submit an application to become a tattoo model, making your profile searchable by brands and businesses.
Then you could hear from them about jobs.
A wonderful location to get work for aspiring models is the Model Management industry.
They currently have a listing for a foreign business looking for tattoo models.
Only tattooed models are employed by this modeling business with a presence in Germany.
Whether you’re a man or a woman, The Models can support you in your tattoo modeling career! You can apply using our online application form along with a few noteworthy images.
You must be outgoing, self-assured, and charismatic, just like every other model, to land gigs with the agency.
Other Places Hiring Tattoo Models
Would you like to become a well-known pinup model? Become a Punkabilly model to receive free pinup attire.
All you need to do is snap a clean photo of yourself wearing any Punkabilly clothing item from the following categories: dress, swimwear, or any type of shirt (man/woman).
You will receive a PayPal refund for the entire cost of your apparel if your photo is selected for the website.
Tattoo Convention in Istanbul
This event is one of many where you may get tattooed for nothing in exchange for showing off your tattoos to artists there.
For our models, who they specifically prepared for the festival, tattoo artists who work in a variety of styles create designs that will be inked on them.
This is a fantastic choice if you want to be compensated for getting tattoos on your body.
Here is where you may apply and find out more.
For its cutting-edge collection of apparel for men and women, this clothing company is constantly looking for fantastic tattoo models.
How To Become A Model For Tattoo Magazines
You can either join the modeling agencies mentioned above or apply directly to the magazine in question if you wish to become a tattoo model for them.
It can be a terrific method to build up your modeling portfolio and earn you a ton of great images to launch your modeling career, even if the compensation isn’t high for some magazines.
The following publications are now seeking tattoo models:
Paperchasers Ink Magazine
For its pages, this tattoo magazine is now looking for tattoo models.
Apply immediately through their website, but don’t forget to include some high-quality pictures of your tattoos.
West Coast Ink Magazine
Another publication that frequently seeks out tattoo models is this one.
An excellent approach to increase your portfolio and generate income from your tattoos is to be published in a publication like this one.
How To Become An Instagram Tattoo Model
Instagram is among the best platforms for beginning work as a tattoo model.
It’s time to create a profile there right now if you don’t already have one.
Successful models can receive compensated influencer work and have their Instagram posts sponsored by brands.
The following steps can help you monetize your tattoos on Instagram:
You need a large following to collaborate with brands and receive sponsorships. Aim for at least 10,000; although this may seem like a lot, it is feasible.
Engage in social interaction and follow a ton of relevant hashtags to grow your following.
Edit your feed.
Make sure your Instagram account is attractive and showcases your prowess as a tattoo model.
Once your feed is popular, you may start applying for influencer jobs or directly contacting brands.
You might be able to get paid to model for tattoos on Instagram by:
- Sponsored posts
- Event appearances
How Much Do Tattoo Models Make?
The rates vary and are determined by the client, the campaign, and the task. Please do check with the client personally if at all possible!
Can You Have Tattoos As A Model?
Yes, you can still work as a model if you have a tattoo. Even while there may be jobs for which tattooed people would prefer not to be booked, you can work as an alternative model or tattoo model if you have conspicuous tattoos or large areas of your body covered in ink.
What Is An Alternative Model?
Excessive piercings, tattoos, or a gothic appearance: Models with a unique personality or appearance are becoming more and more in demand. Alternative models are hired by advertising clients, photographers, and agencies for projects that require a particular look since they don’t follow the usual clichés.
There is no one answer to this question as everyone’s experience will be different. However, there are some things that you can do to increase your chances of becoming a tattoo model.
First, make sure that you have a portfolio of high-quality photos that show off your tattoos. Second, reach out to tattoo artists and photographers and let them know that you are interested in modeling. Finally, be prepared to audition for tattoo magazines and conventions. If you put in the hard work, you may just find yourself becoming a tattoo model.
Thank you for reading!